Internet Purchase Exchange Location
Secure Internet Exchange
With the growing trend of buy, sell, trade on websites such as Craigslist and various social media sites, the Byrnes Mill Police Department is doing their part to assist both buyers and sellers in safe exchanges. While these sites encourage buyers and sellers to meet locally to avoid the hassle and time restraints of using the mail, they don't ensure the safety of either party. And while the vast majority of users are honest and safe, there is a chance that you could encounter someone with ill intentions. When using these sites, there are certain precautions that you should take to avoid being scammed or harmed in any way.
Byrnes Mill Police have teamed up with OfferUp to support local buyers, sellers, and the community in safe selling exchanges. With these internet sales continutally on the rise, offers want to be sure that every precaution is made to ensure the safety of residents within the community.
Outside City Hall, a designated parking spot has been marked with a green MEET UP sign. Placed directly in front of cameras, the spot allows individuals freedom to make exchanges 24-hours a day. The presences of an officer for exchanges is also an additional option, based on request and availability.
- If you choose not to use the buy/sell online, please also keep the following in mind:
- Insist on meeting in a public place such as MEETUP SPOT at Byrnes Mill City Hall.
- Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right, leave.
- Don’t go alone-criminals do not like to be outnumbered.
- Do not invite strangers to your house, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform all transactions during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone – we suggest calling a friend and keeping them on the phone while you are meeting the buyer/seller.